Out on My Own!

I have really enjoyed my first week out and about visiting patients on my own. It has been pretty scary in some ways, I have gone from being secure in the knowledge of knowing my job well to the point of being able to teach others to the newbie, asking stupid questions and feeling,  as well as looking like a dunce being unfamiliar with some of the techniques which might be basic in the community, but I had not encountered to the same degree in hospital.

Anyway, my first day doing visits was absolutely brilliant. The patient lived about two minutes drive from me which meant I did not have to leave that early to get there for 8.30 (that is weird as well, as I get to lie in till 6.30 in the morning and still have plenty of time)! I also get to see Miss Hap off to school which means that Mr Grump buggers off out of it at 7.30 and leaves me to shout up at regular intervals to wake her up from 7am onwards and then chivvy her along until her friend arrives for her at 7:50 to catch the bus.

I fussed around arranging everything neatly in the boot of my car, made sure I had a flask of coffee to keep me going and of course, lunch. I arrived a couple of minutes early, grabbed my paperwork and bag and nervously knocked on the door. I was met by an elderly man who welcomed me into their house, His wife, my patient was very pleasant and smiley as I introduced myself, and we went upstairs so that I could look at her wound that I was there to dress. Her husband shouted up asking me if I wanted a cuppa which of course I did, and the whole visit went well.

The next day though I drove up and down a busy dual carriageway looking for somewhere to no avail. When I finally found it, I realised I had driven past it about three times already! I also woke someone up who was none too pleased to see me, I am not surprised as I had gone to the wrong house! I had got the door numbers mixed up, Luckily someone was waving frantically at me from the other side of the road, who had seen me marching up to the wrong house and realised that it was her son that I should be seeing.

I apologised to the man I had woken and made me my across the road to the correct address. I knew that I was there to do a blood test on an anxious patient, What I did not realise though, but was told just before I went to take it, was that there was a strong likelihood that he might faint or at the very least, throw up. Great! Now I was even more nervous in case I didn’t get it or he flaked out on me! Luckily neither happened, I got my bloods and he got to remain conscious, just how I like it!

A little later on in the week I had to re-visit some of my earlier patients to re-check their wounds, and I was told that these people were going to be my caseload, I was thrilled to have my own patients, especially when I went back out on Friday to the lovely couple I went to on my very first visit,

This time, the husband came to the door in his dressing gown, but I still got the warm welcome and his wife shouted down to me to come up, they had remembered my name which really pleased me. Once I had dressed the wound and had my cuppa, the patient asked if it would be me that always came. I explained that it would although now and again someone else might come, Her reaction was to tell me how pleased she was and that it called for a hug and a kiss!

On Wednesday things went a bit awry, I woke up and looked at my phone only to see it was 7:20! I had not been up on a working day that late in a decade probably!  Mr Grump’s alarm had failed to go off and I didn’t bother setting mine. I yelled out to Miss Hap that it was 7.30 and to get up. She told me nonchalantly that it was only 7.20 anyway!

Well, both Mr Grump and I were stressed, and falling over each other in the bathroom trying to get washed and dressed. I know I wasn’t actually late, but being a creature of habit, I was put out completely having to rush around to get ready. Grump was cross and more crabby than usual but luckily cleared off to take Roxy out for her walk, giving me chance to get on.

It has been quite an eventful week for me, but am looking forward to next week!

40 thoughts on “Out on My Own!

  1. Sounds like you are really enjoying the new job, Judy. When I read the bit about you all getting up late I knew exactly how you felt. It only has to be five minutes but if my arm fails to go off then I start running around as if I am being chased by a swarm of bees. Strange what time does to us especially as there is nothing we can do about it.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank Mary-Anne, that is really sweet of you to say. I would have loved to have been visited by you when I was struggling to breastfeed my daughter, I got there in the end with it but some of those nurses were too busy to spend a lot of time helping and answering questions,


  2. Oh, I can imagine how exciting it must be to be “your own boss” in some way. It really must be a fantastic feeling doing this all on your own next to the nervousness that may occour at times. It must be very empowering and uplifting! So happy you got there, Judy 😊

    Liked by 1 person

  3. A late start is always unsettling! Even if you still have plenty of time to get where you’re going.

    I can sympathize with you driving up and down looking for the address – even with GPS it’s something I often have to do. Luckily I’m always looking for greenhouses so I can tell pretty quick if Maggie (my GPS) has led me to the wrong place.

    Liked by 1 person

  4. I hate to be late.
    Once, years ago, Moo came in and slept on the floor of our room, and unplugged The Mister’s alarm because. I quote, “It was red and scary.” Now, we only had to get Sassy to school that day, but it was quite a surprise to wake up and not know what time it was 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

      1. Oh, no, I’m so sorry. I meant from now on it’s going to get easier. As in walking downhill is easy. Crap, wrong metaphor.
        There is an old rabbinical saying, “All beginnings are difficult.” Which, to me, means from now on, your new job will get easier 🙂

        Liked by 1 person

      2. No problem Aimer, I got the wrong end of the stick. I see now the way you intended it to be read. We often use ‘downhill all the way’ once someone had kind of reached the top of something and the only way left to go is downwatd. 🙂

        Liked by 1 person

  5. With regards to the fainter, I have that problem as well. One of the phlebotomists tried switching the usual wipes with betadine, haven’t had the problem since. She said that a number of her regulars have a problem with the odor from the standard alcohol wipes.


  6. So glad you’ve settled in your new job Judy!! I’ve had alarm issues before too, perfect for keeping you on edge all the rest of the day, because you resembled a headless chicken, trying to get yourself ready in a reduced amount of time that Morning!

    Liked by 1 person

  7. This is a job you’re going to shone in even more than before. Your attitude and natural humour will have the patients delighted to see you at the door though don’t expect them all to faint or throw up.
    Enjoy the new job as much as it’s going to enjoy you.
    xxx Massive Hugs xxx

    Liked by 2 people

    1. Thanks so much David for those lovely comments. I have been lucky enough to have had some wonderful patients so far, that have been so friendly and welcoming towards me. Anyone who offers me tea is a hit in my book! 🙂

      Liked by 2 people

I'd love to know what you think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s